Sunday, March 25, 2012

An Update on my Family

So… I think it is about time for a catch up on everything here in the Tesoros House.

The boys – We’ve seen some highs and lows here. Each of the kids have their own battles and baggage. It has been exhausting, but rewarding working day in and day out with them.

Paul – Had the hardest time adjusting to a male authority figure, but now loves Oscar and wants to be in the middle of us anytime we hug. He is doing well in school – star pupil of the class from what I here. He is extremely intelligent. (Last week, he had an assignment for class. He had to list a bunch of personal information – including the names of his parents. He came and asked if he could put Tia Sam and Tio Oscar as his parents. I said yes.) Please pray that God leads and directs His future.

Juan – He quickly adjusted to the idea of us in the house. After only a few weeks in the house we had the following conversation while doing laundry: Juan - “Are you my mommy?” Me - “I am your mommy for right now in the albergue.” Juan - “My mommy said that she was going to leave me here so I would get a new mommy. She said she wasn’t going to be my mommy any more. Will you be my mommy for forever?” Me – speechless. (How can a mother tell her 7 year old “I am not going to be your mom anymore”) He came to the albergue when he was about 7, meaning he missed out on being educated for some very important years. He is currently repeating 1st grade, and struggling. Most importantly, Juan was able to attend a church camp here over the summer. He accepted Christ as his Savior and Lord while there. Please pray that his relationship with the Lord will continue to grow, and that God will help him to fill in all the educational holes he has.

Edwin – he is our lovable little monster (who Oscar calls MegaMind). He is sweet and adorable – quickly attaching himself to the heart of anyone who comes here, but can be extremely naughty. (Hitting, kicking, pinching, throwing things, spitting - not just the other kids… Oscar and I as well.) We’ve really struggled with coming up with effective punishments. His autism makes it difficult for us. He is extremely intelligent, I am convinced of this the more I live with him. His language skills are no representation of his reasoning and understanding. Please pray for wisdom of Oscar and I as we try to train him up, and that he will be given the opportunities to learn, grow and develop to his full potential.

Jorge – He was our fit thrower when we first got in the house, but that seems to have been overcome. He is struggling hard with school. His class seems to be the fastest moving of the 1st grades, and he just can’t keep up. Please pray he will learn and catch up quickly, and for my patience when I try to do homework with him.

Pedro – He was born first, and he likes us to remember that. He has been one of the steadiest in all our time here. He is pretty much the same kid he was when we moved in. He cries anytime he gets punished (even if it only a 5 minute time out), he is loud and rowdy, and when he sings – everything about it is operatic. Pray for his family. There is so much turmoil and pain there.

Pablo – the second born twin. This little guy is much more of a roller coaster than his brother. He goes from quiet and obedient to loud and hyper to rebellious and defiant – sometimes 5 times a day. He rarely is in the middle ground – it is almost always an extreme. Pray that we will help him learn to control his emotions, and for his family.

Jhon – He is one of the smartest 4 year olds I have ever met. His speech is so advanced for his age. He wants to know the whys and how’s of EVERYTHING. He has really struggled with the change – he was the most attached to the last madre here. And he has already lost so much at such a young age. Pray for healing in his confused little heart.

Alejandro – He came from such a violent home, and he has brought so much of that with him. He regularly hits with no apparent provocation or cause. He throws wild fits and screams and cries. The transition into school has left him exhausted and in an even worse mood. Pray for his recovery from a life of abuse and pray that Oscar and I will be able to teach, correct and discipline him in ways he can understand, grow and heal from.

Jose Luis – My little guy. He is adorable – and naughty, but still adorable. He is the only one who isn’t in school here. We hoped that by separating him from the 2 older “little guy” he would stop following and copying them, giving him the ability to think for himself better. Pray for the exciting things he has coming to him in the future, and pray the future comes quickly.

Oscar and I

It has been quite an adjustment. Less than a year ago we were not married and on separate continents…. Now we’re married and raising 9 boys. For the most part it has been fun… with a few rough patches along the way.

I am sure some people thought that taking on 9 boys as newlyweds was a crazy, if not stupid, decision. (They’re probably right), but I think our marriage is all the stronger for it. We lean on each other so much. We are making so many important decisions together, on a daily basis. They boys really feel like our family and I we our both so content here.

As some of you may have seen on Facebook, we had a recent disappointment. Oscar and I long for him to get to come to the states and meet so many of my loved ones… But that doesn’t seem to be on the horizon for any time soon. We had been told by a couple friends that getting a tourist visa for a spouse was easy, and since we really only want him to be able to visit, we applied. Oscar was denied because he is married to me. We were told his only option is to get a permanent resident visa… even though we only want him to be able to visit. That visa is very expensive… and there are a lot of parts we don’t understand. We are very sad and confused.

Many people have offered comfort that God has a plan for us. While I appreciate the sentiments, that has never been a question or doubt in our hearts. We know, with certainty, that God has plans for us and is leading and guiding us to his Perfect will. And I know that His plans often, if not always, far surpass my plans. That does not mean this doesn’t hurt. My husband, the man I am sharing my life with, doesn’t know my best friends, my brothers, my cousins or aunts and uncles or my friends. He has never been to my house, much less my town or church. That hurts. That is not ok. Yes, God has a plan and we trust him completely… but this still breaks our hearts.

But with that said – we are still excited about other things God is blessing us with. We are excited about the ministry we are getting to do here in the orphanage. But we are even more excited about the new blessing God has given us. I thought it fair to tell the friends and loved ones who actually take the time to read my blog and pray for us (before announcing it on facebook) that Oscar and I are expecting a baby. The arrival of Little Baby Alday (or Alday Smith… or Alday-Smith… or however we decide to handle the biculturalness of the last name) will be arriving, Lord willing, October (the 21st is my actual due date). The baby will be born here in Peru (as America doesn’t want to let Oscar in). We are both VERY excited!!!

Please pray for both us to have wisdom, patience and strength daily - we need a lot of it. And please pray for our little one – that he/she will grow and develop healthy.

And pray for me – being pregnant and a mother of 9 has been no walk in the park so far. (Everyone says the second trimester is easier, so I am hoping I just have to make it through the next few weeks, and then I will have some relief.) Oscar has been unbelievable amazing and helpful in every way possible. I am more grateful every day for the gift God gave me when He brought Oscar into my life. Please pray I will have the energy to give my boys all they need, and the time to rest and give my baby all he/she needs.

Thank you to everyone who reads these and lifts us up in prayer. And those who comment and let me feel the closeness of their support.

5 comments:

Denyse said...

As one who actually reads your blog--let me say congratulations ;) Thank you also for the updates on the little men in your home. It's nice to keep up with the ones I know and to know how to pray for all of them. Praying abundant blessings on you, Oscar and your family!

Bethany said...

Wow! Congratulations to both of you! It seems like some pretty amazing things are happening in your life. I have the greatest amount of respect for what you and Oscar are doing. Opening your hearts to so many kids like that is amazing. Thinking of you fondly abrazos para todo tu famila :)

Lindsey said...

Very exciting news Sam!!

leslie.kidd said...

I'm so sorry to read that Oscar isn't able to get a visa. It will be interesting to see what God does in the future regarding this.
Congrats again on your little one on the way! I'm so excited for you. The 2nd trimester is definitely better, just keep hanging in there! I can't imagine doing what you doing with one on the way. May the Lord continue to give you lots of strength and wisdom as you love, discipline, teach, help and minister to your little boys!! I am so very proud of you and what you are doing! Love you, Sam!!

Jennifer said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Sam!! So happy and excited for you and Oscar!! Keeping you both, as well as your little one, in my prayers, and I'm so sorry to hear that his visa didn't work out this time. Thanks for keeping us updated on those precious boys! It's so comforting to know how they're currently doing and changing and what their biggest prayer needs are even though I'm so far away. Keep up your amazing work! -Jen Turner